Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Tnooz recently posted some great social media tips for hotels to create an effective social media strategy, so here are some of our tips and best practice on how to make the most of each of the most popular social media channels.
With over 500 million monthly unique visitors, Facebook has a huge amount of traffic that your organisation can leverage to grow business.
- Encourage interaction with your community and give them a reason to share your updates both on and off Facebook
- Ask engaging questions that get people involved. Not only does this increase engagement, but it allows you to see into the mind of your fans and understand what really matters to them
- You can also engage via contests or offer discounts exclusive to Facebook fans
- Keep Posts Short. A recent study has found that there is a 27.0% increase in engagement for posts 80 characters long or shorter
- Many studies have found that it is best to post later in the week and between 3-5pm
- Don’t leave questions unanswered. Answer queries and resolve customer complaints. This can be an extension of your CRM programme
With 200 million accounts having been opened, Twitter is a great way to give your company a personal touch. Dont be afraid to show some personality!
- Great platform to share links, but remember you also need to balance this with some personality, so your followers can get to know you
- Share good content around your industry/topic and engage in conversations with intelligent people on subjects that are meaningful to you
- Include links to your own blog/website but make sure you also link to other people’s stuff otherwise people will soon get bored
- Use the @feature to reply when you can
- Links don’t always have to be about your business topic: remember to have some fun!
- Again, have an eagle eye for queries and questions directed at your brand. Social media is about listening. If your customers feel that they’re being ignored, they won’t be happy 🙁
With 110 million monthly unique visitors, YouTube is an excellent way to visually promote your hotel, venue, attraction, destination or business – especially if you go viral!
- Be creative. Most videos with the highest views are because of great/absurd humour and/or creative visuals. This is not to say that you need to be unprofessional, but certainly think artistically in order to draw attention and set you apart from the competition. As one of the largest producers of digital videos for the leisure and tourism industry, the Digital Visitor production team can sort you out
- Customise your channel – add your company’s branding, customise the colours to compliment your company’s look, and add relevant information and links
- Don’t forget to tag – try to use the most relevant, but don’t be afraid to experiment if your content could fall into one or the other. Be sure to monitor how the different videos perform so you can make an educated decision about categories in the future
Ultimately, the purpose of all your social media activity should be to drive traffic back to your website.
Here at Digital Visitor, we provide social media solutions that are integrated into your own website, so no matter what happens, your brand will ALWAYS have a presence in the social media world.
By gathering content such as videos, photos and text on your own website, you can then easily share this on anyother social media site.
Contact us today to find out more