Travel decision making is emotional. How a place makes us feel plays a large part in likelihood to visit. But it isn’t exclusively destination that’s driven by emotion; our emotional response to accommodation is also important and frequent.
In a marketplace where emotion is key, visual stimulation and inspiration is vital to influencing traveller decision making. And, as Google’s Travel Study unearthed, most of us ‘begin researching online’ before deciding ‘where or how… to travel’. Predicted to top 2.9 billion users by 2020, social media represents a large portion of that digital audience, making it a key source of inspiration for many.
This week, Managing Director at Digital Visitor, Anthony Rawlins, took to the stage at the prestigious Association of Serviced Apartment Providers (ASAP) Conference in London. In his presentation, he discussed the ‘socially inspired traveller’ and how serviced apartment providers can use social media to engage visitors emotionally across channels.
Below is the presentation as it appeared on stage, from which you can expect to gain an understanding of:
- The importance of emotion in travel decision making
- How emotion is tied into choice of accommodation
- The part digital and social currently plays in decision making
- Specific examples on social media and Facebook
- Social media advertising and background
- Performance of social media vs. traditional media