For prospective students, selecting a university may be the most challenging decision they’ve ever made.
Faced with the responsibility of needing to decide where they’ll be steering their lives next, prospective students are not just choosing which university they’ll be attending – they are looking for an institution in which they can entrust the development of their own futures.
Historically, academic reputation has held prominence as a leading factor in students’ decision-making. However, many students today are career-driven, commercially minded and express particular interest in wanting ‘value for money.’
According to a Study of UK Higher Education, “The primary purpose for students entering higher education was to improve their career prospects… Students spoke of needing to go beyond their degree to gain the skills and experience they would need for employment, highlighting the importance of extra‐curricular activities, internships and work placement opportunities.”
Given these attitudes, attracting students to attend your University’s Open Days are essential to win prospective students’ interest in applying. Open Days provide the opportunity to exhibit the full range of extracurricular activities available on campus, as well as showcasing your leading facilities, highlighting the unique benefits of your location, and most importantly – providing prospective students with the chance to interact with your existing student bodies.
We believe that social media is a perfect platform for Universities to connect with prospective students and achieve this. We’ve designed three example campaigns to demonstrate how to promote Open Days via social media campaigns.
A beautifully designed custom microsite that engages your existing student body and connects them to prospective students with their own photo/video testaments of why they love your University!
How It Works
- Through our promotional campaign activities using social advertising and Social PR, we encourage prospective students to participate in a highly engaging campaign.
- Campaign participants will be directed to a custom microsite which showcases the images and tags submitted by other users, and that features a simple set of instructions of how to participate.
- Prospective students upload images via Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #WhyILoveUni and share their favourite activity with an @ which is associated with each student’s image
- Once they’ve completed their upload, students enter their details and are provided the opportunity to share the competition with friends via a custom share prompt.
Why You’ll Love It
- This campaign utilises your existing student body’s campus pride and turns them into brand ambassadors, promoting all the wonderful activities and things they love to do on campus to prospective students.
- Prospective students are interact with existing students, and are given a personalised experience with your university to encourage an Open Day visit.
- Photo uploads provide high quality UGC, which can be repurposed for future marketing.
- Images and video submissions will feature other students and fun activities to which prospective students will relate, and via use of a second tag, a diverse array of images will be submitted and categorised by the @ which has been used.
- This cross-platform campaign maximises reach and has high potential for virality.
Complete the Treasure Hunt Challenge & Unlock a Chance to Win a Weekend Stay!
This is an informative and engaging treasure hunt style campaign that uses an interactive map to simulate a tour your prospective students will want to experience themselves!
How it Works
- Prospective students are given clues in the style of fun facts, and are instructed to match the clue with the correct landmark by clicking dropped pins on an interactive map.
- As they click on each pin, a vibrant image of the facility or landmark pops up with the name and some other interesting bits of information about its relevance to the student body.
- Progress is tracked with a status bar on the top, and once all clues have been matched correctly, prospective students submit their details and are invited to share the campaign with friends.
Why You’ll Love It
- Highlight things-to-do on or around campus beloved by your student community via an attraction-filled map, and captivating clues and images that shed light on history or local knowledge of the particular attractions you’d like to feature.
- Capture your prospective students’ attention with a treasure hunt that is fun to play and offers unique knowledge of the areas you’d like to showcase.
- Simulate the experience of visiting an Open Day by plotting your campus on a map interface.
Discover Your Perfect University Experience
This personality quiz style campaign asks students to answer a few questions to reveal bespoke recommendations for all the things that they would love to do at your university.
How it Works
- Through our promotional campaign activities, we maximise reach of your campaign and number of prospective students participating.
- Prospective students are asked to discover their perfect University experience by answering a few questions about their interests.
- Mixing fun, personality-style options with questions about their priorities for university selection, the questions reveal the students’ interests and preferences – while showcasing a variety of exciting images from your campus, school clubs, or previous students.
- The student completes four levels of questions and a data capture form to enter.
- Based on their responses, students are served a bespoke recommendation for their perfect University experience with a link to a relevant page on your University’s website.
Why You’ll Love It
- This is a proven campaign mechanic that users enjoy and always drives high levels of participation.
- This campaign enables you to showcase the depth and breadth of your University’s unique features, and provide custom recommendations for students based on their expressed interests.
- Questions can be set to be educational, taking prospective students through a range of extracurricular activities, societies, or academic programs – step by step – making it perfect to highlight the unique selling points of your university.
- It produces good quality insights on prospective student preferences and these can be used to tailor follow-up communications via targeted newsletters.
How our campaigns work
We activate our campaigns through highly targeted Social PR and Influencer outreach combined with optimised Social advertising to deliver reach to exactly the right audience.
Data capture is comprehensive and flexible allowing full compliance with all opt-in regulations and all applications are fully functional on desktop, mobile and tablet.
We specialise in arranging highly relevant top quality commercial partners for our promotions. As part of the arrangements with them, we can negotiate free product as prizes, access to their social networks and inclusion in their newsletters to further extend campaign reach.
We also ensure awareness is raised in your existing community by working with third party or in-house social teams on special announcements via your existing profiles.
Finally, we actively support commercial follow up of any campaign with offers such as discount or money off coupons via the campaign mechanic or a follow up newsletter to deliver a direct return on campaign investment.
For more information on these highly effective ways to collect pre-qualified customer leads from social media – and Facebook in particular, please contact us or call 0117 9111420.